It was so very cold this morning and still dark- I so wanted to stay in bed…….. But others needed rousing and the day would not do its self, so I rolled out and did the morning rituals. Still unexcited I then off to the studio. I had a “no mind” project to work on- the Scrap Happy quilt. So I stared by sewing on the pre-pinned row of blocks. Before I knew it I was sewing on the last row and an hour had passed. My mind was fully engaged in how I wanted to attempt the problem that was on the pin wall. I realized I had won against the winter doldrums……” Just DO IT” as the saying goes. It really dose work- that plus stopping on a project were the next step is obvious really dose not hurt either.
Pink Button Necklace
This project is now done. I am working on getting the instructions completed too. They will go up as a tutorial when that is finished. My goal is to have that complete by next Thur. I am still cleaning up details and I know I need to write read, re read let some time pass and check again before I put up instructions so it takes me time to do it correctly.
Last week I talked about getting inspiration from some of my older books, and I think this will be a fun thing to do. I decided to use the Louis Ericson book Design&Sew it Yourself for the first project to try. I selected to do some work with bias strips. I loved the look of the frogs in the book so I sort of started with that in mind. But the material I selected- a black and white print was far too busy for the fancy work of the cords to show up. Perhaps later I can try that. So I built a background of light green, with a pale purple and white strip across it. Then making a visual decision visually, I decided that this did not show off the bias to its best advantage and created a new color combo to use the strips on. This works a lot better for my eye. So I will build a new platform for the bias work using these fabrics.
There are several quilts in this project that I worked on this week.
Amended Squares is the oldest one. As the pictures shows I have done a lot of the machine quilting and some bead work here. I feel that it is complete at this point.
This sloution is far less clutterd than the first attempt with this lay out. I am still very close to the works and find they both have strong points. I do feel that this one is a better place to work from for the next two in the series however and so I kept the others similar in feel and simplicity.
This is the third in the revised DMC series. I really altered this lay out one- but I followed the rule 5- If you want to do it- DO IT. I am plan to join the two units with beads in the opening….. I hope I can pull this off successfully.
I enjoyed my work with the openings on the paper quilt that I worked on last week that my mind went running in a new direction with that concept. So I painted up two more colored paper piles and built two addition surfaces to work on. No titles yet but that will come as I play with the work. I am enjoying the process.