It has been so warm the last few days that the plants are a bit confused. These Snow Drops are proof of that. I am enjoying it though.
There is a class at QBL taught by Elizabeth Bush were one is encouraged to rework pieces that are one is not happy with. I have been looking at First Fall and feel it is not as successful as it could be. So I took the plunge and re did the leaf by adding orange to it. I feel that this rework helps the final piece. The center of interest is stronger and draws the eye to one of Maureen’s “ Golden Points”.
Progress Report:Teasel Trouble This work is 24” X 28” inside the frame. The frame was a gift from my friend Patti. These are the original teasel heads that were too small that got lost on the first background.
When I made this one I made the background simpler and in a rusty color to show off the heads. ( the color in this photo is awful! the color in the full shot is a lot closer to reality)
The smaller heads in the background are made from silk paper.
Sharron’s Challenge This top is all assembled. I find it to be a little quiet and not to interesting so I decided to add a cherry blossom limb on top of it. I drew a limb on wash away in magic marker and then built a limb on top. The white paper shapes and the pink/orange shape represent the flowers. I plan to add more.
Then I did a second look and decided that the limb was too light in value so I started a second one yesterday. It works with the background much better. It is made from the sleeve of a tweed wool jacket that Tanya had given. It does not take over the background either. I am about half done with the build up of the limb and then I will add pink blossoms.
Wiggle Cut Being a frugal person, I decided I would still use the first limb on a different background so I built this one for that purpose. I will slice this vertically and shuffle the parts and then add the fist limb on top.
Summer Meadow I am reading Layer, Paint, Stitch by Wendy Dolan. This is my attempt at the first exercise she suggests. It is built up with layers of white and off white textured materials. I need to add some more lace flower forms on this before I go onto the next step.
Samurai Romance I am also still working through Stitch, Fiber, Metal and Mixed Media by Alysn Midgelow-Morden too. This is the first step of the second assignment in that book. ( the pods were the first) I still need to attach more cording to the surface of this section so I can go onto the next one. I am enjoying thinking about how I can apply these different little ideas to my own work.
This is 12” X 12” and it is my entry for the SAQA auction for 2017. I only need to add a sleeve and label to the back and it will be ready to ship. I enjoy the organization and I am glad to add to the fund raiser.
Xavier Wood Ice I continue to do the free motion work on this piece. The build up is slow as it is so large and I only work for an hour at a time on this process. I find that if I try to do more it becomes very sloppy and I feel like I lose control.
Scarp Happy All the rows of this quilt are done now. I started cutting pieces for the back yesterday so now the end is in sight.
Label Block # 108 With the completion of this block I only have twelve more to finish this step. I will do a recount this week to make sure that my numbers are correct. I am getting excited. The bad news is I still have lots of labels left over…….