It is the first full day of summer and now the days begin to get shorter. It is also the beginning of what as kids we called “Maple Whistle Time”. As a kid for about a week we would use the maple seeds as a devise to make a whistle sound and drive my mom crazy. There is also a mulberry tree that is dropping its fruit that I pass under when I walk. That too brings up great childhood memories of climbing the mulberry tree in the front yard and eating those berries. They were so juicy. We even tried to make mulberry one time . Summer was always one day of adventure after another.
Progress Report: Green Dragons This piece is 31” w X 37.5” t. It is quilted with stitch in the ditch work and then machine drawing of five dragons was added on top. I stated out by outlining the dragon that was printed on the fabric panel in the work. I did little research on Google and then some drawings I then did the others in a mimic of fist dragon.I have not done a dragon quilt for many years, but there was a time when I did one as a yearly thing. It is fun to revisit themes .
Wind Blown This quilt is 16’ w X 29” t. I built up the background and then painted that ground. I knew I wanted a tree on the surface so I did some drawing.
After this step I had to decide how I wanted to build the trunk of the tree. I used tear away paper and drew the image again. Then I laid out yarn for that trunk and the limbs and free motion sewed them all together. After pulling away all the paper I free motion stitched the tree down. Next decision was how to make the leaves. I placed a piece of wash away on top of the tree and then sprinkled shredded bits of green fabric on top of the wash away. Last, I placed a bit of green organza on top to create a sandwich and free motion stitched the everything together. After washing out the wash away I flipped the organza to the back and free motion stitched it to the tree area.
Little Jellyfish I am still doing the hand work on this piece. Stitching down all the tentacles is slow.
Ethel Scrap Work I sewing sold blocks to the 5” pattern ones at this point.
Flag- Fly Fast For this banner I set the machine on zig –zag and drew the letters in free motion. I like the strange effect.
Flag-Dream This is the last banner that I made in Florida this spring. The letters are done with a chain stitch.
New Work I am building this in the build a unit technique that I use. The challenge Liz made was to use some of the hand dyed materials we had created.
Label Block # 130 I can see the end of this process now.
PS I will be away again next week . I am off to visit the Frank Lloyd Wright house Falling Water.
It is really starting to be colorful here in central New York. I have seen all shades of green, yellow, orange and red this week. Mother Nature has been busy. I went off to a Fiber Arts show on Sat. There was lots of weaving, spinning and roving. I came home with a back pack full of new colors to work with. The yarns were beautiful as well. It almost made me want to knit…. then I remembered all the yarn I already have so I walked away. I also went off to the Rock Garden Art Group Show. Two Fiber arts friends had work in the show Cheri and Terri. It was great. I so enjoy seeing the work of my fellow fiber Artists in gallery settings.
Progress Report: Ethel’s Nine Patch I got all of the quilt put together with week. I am working on the binding and that is about one third done. I am sure it will be completed this week.
Birds I am making progress on this work too. I have not put much of it together but the layout is getting more and more complete.
Land Fall I did work on this piece this week but this is the slow stage were not a lot seem to be happening in the over all image.
Orange Wool This work is like the other wool based piece. Lots of time but little difference on the surface. I am pushing myself to go more toward a fire like image. Time will tell if I can make this work.
Queen Ann’s Lace I did work on the heads of the steams on this project. I have been so busy doing hand work on other things that I have not really spent much time on this project.
Thread Painting At the QuEG’s meeting Angela talked about doing thread painting on wash away. Well I tried it this week. I like the concept, but I need to plan more carefully with the grid I put down to build on. I also marked the pattern were I wanted the white in red washable marker. I turned the thread pink. Not my plan at all. Mistakes are what we need to move forward. Then today I re read the instructions and it said to do the machine drawing on both sides. A second mistake.
Label Blocks # 83 and # 84
I just keep working at the little daily blocks.