These beautiful Alliums where blooming in my friends garden and they just captured me when I drove up. There are constant changes as the weather grows warmer and the days are longer. One needs to pay attention to the catch those changes. Keep Your eyes open.
I had two meetings this week. The FAB group meant and it was an active meeting. Nancy is making great strides on her Mother’s quilt. I spent time helping her with the free motion work in the center section around the little sunflowers and the birds. She is does not have enough experience with free motion work to make it work flow for her yet. But time and work will solve that problem. Patti is taking painting classes in both acrylic and watercolor. I think that takes courage.
Judy is working away on her “Disappearing Nine Patch” and assembling it . She has plans for a second already
Marty was at the meeting too and she showed us the quilt she made for her great grandson.
I really like how the longitude lines curve just a bit to give the rounded feel to the piece.
The Finger Lakes Fiber Artists also meant this week. It is so stimulating and there is lots of interaction between the participants. This shot shows Regina and Sharon talking at lunch. ( the works on the floor are Sharon’s)
This is one of Pat ‘s rare small works – it’s about 16″ square. Her hand printed fabric really lends its self to a big format so this is a different challenge for her.
This is Julia’s piece in response to a collage that she did in David Horning’s class at QBL two summer’s ago.
This work is by Bev. I love how she breaks up a shape and re assembles it. The colors work well together too.
Then on Monday I went to Liz’s house we spent the day using thickened dye to alter the color of fabric. We both did about three pieces and will meet aging in a few weeks to do another batch. These are mine and I am most delighted by finally getting some pure white in the front piece.
Progress Report: Nine Blue Iris This work is 15” X 31” . Iris are one of my favorite flowers that bloom early in the spring. The old lace in the background here is from a pillow case that my Grandmother Ruth made . I am continuing to challenge myself to work with organza and build up layers of color. Flowers work especially well with this idea as they are so delicate.
Most of these flowers are three layers thick,
Pods I am continuing to build these little works. I only have enough altered felt to do two more and then I will move onto another project.
Jellyfish This project also is working with the layers of transparency. The colors do not come through as well as I had hoped. Not enough contrast here I think. But that is part of what I am learning about this material.
Notebook- Harlequin Paper
I made this book cover from the Harlequin paper I made last week. I fused down candy wrappers to black felt and then layered golden brown nylon netting on top. The work was then free motion quilted over the surface to hold it all together and give it a strong body. Making it into the note book jacket was the final step.
Creative Assistants I finished up another 30 of these little fellows this week. They will disappear that QBL as I give them away.
Liz challenged me when we were dyeing to create something with some of the fabric we have created together over this last year. I pulled all of these to do just that .
Label Block # 122 I keep working away on this project one little block at a time.
I will be away from home so there will not be any post for the next two weeks. I will have holiday ones to share when I get back.