This week was full of events. Last weekend I went off to the Tompkins Quilt guild show. Cheri won a ribbon there. So too did my friend Pat. But this red work is not the one she won a ribbon on.
I went off to the Schweinfurt with Marty and we vied the Geologic Landscapes show on Wed.. This wall piece is of the watershed of the lake. The white lines are of the creeks and streams that feed into the lake and the white area near the top is the lake. The outline of the shape is of the highest elevations around the lake area. I loved this concept as I have always liked topographical maps.
Then this morning was the FAB meeting. Both Judy and Nancy are working on different variations of Disappearing Four Patch. Judy’s is the one in dark blues and whites. Nancy’s is the one with the greens in it. It is great how unique they both are.
Progress Report: Buggy This work is 40” w X 49.5” l. The bugs are oil stitch on fabric using my own designed and cut stencils. The gray and light green panels are made from stamps I cut in Pat Pauly’s class at QBL two summers ago. I dyed the dark green and the fabric with the turquoise and white in it too. Liz had challenged me to use some of the stuff we have been creating and this one fills the bill. The reflective quilting looks like bug trails one of my friends said. These big black insects are based on cockroaches. The blue green insects are also beetles.
Quartered Glyph This work is 44” w X 48” l. I used a smaller version of the Owl Glyph pattern that I created to do this work. The quilting is strait line starting from the center and working out using variegated thread. The shapes of the glyph are raw edged appliqued.
Tossed Salad This quilt is made from all the cut away parts of Quartered Glyph. I am machine stitching down the parts in the raw applique style here. I have added the back and batting too so this time I am quilting at the same time as I put the parts on. I do not know if I will have to add additional machine lines until I am done with this step.
Pealing Oranges This quilt is still growing. I made a smaller Owl Glyph pattern and used a beautiful piece of orange fabric from Regina to place that pattern on. It is being mixed with some of the other cut away fabrics from various other Glyph projects. This is an early step in the process.
Card Confused I build this card from multiple copies of the same image trying to mix and confuse the eve. All the cutting and pasting made it warp a bit but I think the confusion is there. I sure feel that way about the world at large at the moment.
Label Quilt This work is 95” X 95”. I am now done with this weekly project. It has been an enjoyable and calming evening daily work. It took me a week to finish each of the 144 squares. I am now trying to decide what the next daily practice project will be.