This week had been one filled with events. Last Friday was busy as I took down the Finger Lakes Fiber Artist show a May Memorial. Then I went off to Oswego State University to Sharon Souva’s Graduate show. It was wonderful. She did a deep exploration of four areas. She took a photo. This one is called” Yellow Strip” and is a shot of a part of the pavement. She wrote a poem about each subject.She then did a print of the subject. This was followed by a small rendering of the image in fabric before doing a full sized quilt on the topic. I enjoyed seeing the progression. Her other three topics where grass growing out of a crack in the cement sidewalk. This is the quilt.
Lastly , a quilt of birch bark with with lichens growing on it. Her fabric interpretations are wonderful and inspiring. I am so proud of her and admire the effort it took to go to school and see it to the end.
On Sunday I went off to the Schweinfurth to the Finger Lakes Fiber Artist meeting. We talked about the Q=A= Q show that is up and enjoyed hearing other members favorites and the why of those feelings. At 2:00 we went up stairs to enjoy Bev’s trunk talk. She was very kind with her full explanations about how she got to where she is now as well as her current process.It was a good day.
Then on Tues I went off to QuEG’s and Diva meetings. The holidays are keeping folks busy so there was not much show and tell in either case. Regina had finished her hand work on her circles and squares piece. The base of this work is a piece of Shobori that she did. Ruth shared her cell work too.
- Progress Report: Peeling Orange This work is 38” w X 41” l. It is the last work that I plant to use the Owl graffiti layout on. It is not the same pattern that I made in class. I took the idea and made it smaller to fit the orange hand dyed fabric that Regina gave to me. There are cut-aways from other works in the series in this piece too. I am now at the point where I did not care if the viewer knows or can find the the word in the work any more. I realized I have also become enchanted with the little tails that sometimes end up sticking out along the edge . I have cut them away many times- but decided I will keep some times on this work and some in the furture.
Zap It I am now doing the machine quilting and hand applique of the “It’s” on this quilt. It is moving along nicely.
Zap It II In my preparation for my own trunk show I looked at all my old pieces. I ended up with a whole pile of not so strong work and was considering just passing it all off to other uses. Then I remembered Ethel telling me long ago that I made great backgrounds. So I though perhaps I could use some of those weaker pieces as a background for the letter form explorations. I liked one of my line drawings of “Zap It” – so I used that as the basis for the purple strips on the surface of this older work. The next challenge is how I want to stitch these lines down on the surface.