Spring really brings on fast changes around here. Last week this lilac barely had leaves and now it is in full bloom. And the smell is wonderful. So too of so many plants. I love all the quick changes that happen this time of year. The leaves fill in all the empty spaces as they reach for the sun shine and soon one feels under a canopy of green. The vast views of the land are cut down as the leaves block the eye line to the horizon line and one feels enclosed and protected. I find it really energizes me as well and I have had a great week.
Progress Report : Thaw in Xavier Wood This work is 38” X 40” and based on photos I took last fall when we had a nice thaw in mid November. Ice is a subject that seems to constantly call back to me. I love how the leaves are effected too not only in color but how they deteriorate. I even tried using copper for a few of them knowing that they will also fade with time.
Pods I seem to be fascinated by the areas of connection of the units for these pods this week. They sure got most of the attention. I am also using Sharron’s buttons as focus points on the surfaces of many of the pods.
Flags: Tajira I keep working away on the flags that I started in Florida. This one is called Tajira because that is the name of the new baby Giraffe that was just born to April last week. This “ child” was 90 pounds and 6 Feet tall at birth. The lettering was done on silk paper.
Spring Iris’s I built up a base of several layers of different types of creams and white fabrics and then added some brown and yellow stains to the surface for this piece. I used some old lace that my grandmother Ruth created for the edge of a pillow case here too. Then I did a life sized drawing of the Iris’s I want to put on top of this work and now I am ready to begin that step. Because I want to use layers of sheers for the petals I am moving very slowly. I am considering adding roving between the layers for more color.
Buttonweed This rock wall background has been waiting for me to make a decision about the top layer for a few weeks. This week I finally decided to go with my original plan and drew these big paper patters for the seed pods for the Button Weeds. They will be cut from this bright green because that is the strong color the weeds are and that plus the shape is what draws me to them.
Harlequin Papers This is a pure experiment. I had read some where that one could fuse down candy wrapper papers and use them on a work. So this week when I spilled the box of papers I thought that it was a sign that I needed to act on that idea. I will need to look and think about it for a while before I know how to proceed from this point.
Wool- Brown This felted beginning has the same red wool base. It also has a lot of fabric mixed with the roving and wool yarn on the surface. I have not started laying out the third one yet. When it too is hand felted I will get out the felting machine and do that step to all three pieces and go from there.
Brown Base These fabrics seemed to go together so I untied them. It is just a raw base for a future something. I know that I will use it at some time and be glad that it is ready like a primed canvas is for an painter .
Purple Possibilities While I was pawing through my stash looking for the the green to use in Button Weed and the blues I used in the curvy cut piece, I noticed that there were lots of small purple bits in the bottom of bins and such. So I started collecting them in one place. I will use this as personal challenge to use them all together in a piece some time. I enjoy a little problem solving every now and then.