Many times as the new year approaches one tends to do an evaluation of the past. I did too and as I worked toward finishing up projects last Friday I was frustrated by the fact that I could not find my webbing. Now I knew I had a two rolls of the stuff and that they where about 24” across. After searching the closet moving and shuffling things for about twenty min. I sat down and had a little talk with myself. I could not remember when was the last time I had cleaned the space and sense I could not find what I knew I really had- perhaps a clean out was in order. So I started pulling stuff out of the closet , sorting as I went. The stacks kept growing and still no webbing. By this time I had all of the stuff out of the west end of the closet and had three bags full of items to pass on to Maggie. ( She is an art teacher who loves odd stuff and uses it with her students.) I had also come to the realization that I was not going to be doing metal jewelry anymore so all those tools could go too. ( They went off to Nick’s girl friend.) Hurray, more space for what I really love. I started to put stuff back into the closet. I finally found the webbing at the end of the day on Sat at 4 in the afternoon. By that time I had committed myself to doing the whole studio. Well here it is Friday and I have put three to six hours in this cleaning project every day. I am still working on the west end of the studio, but the closet is clean. Two trash bags full of useless stuff went out to the garbage men last night too. Now I am working on the book shelves. I eliminated a box of books this morning. Again, they were on a doll making- a topic I have not done any thinking about for several years. I took time off from the cleaning to judge the Scholastic Art Awards on Tue so I really can only say I have been working for six days. Looking at and thinking about every box, book and collection of stuff takes time. This process is like making a quit with 1,000 pieces- The whole thing is over whelming- but doing one little thing at a time will get the job done.
This work is 40.5”w X 34”l. I am happy with this work as it is such a different approach from the others in the glyph series. I pieced the fabric that I cut the word form this time.Useing this prcess this makes the word less important. That plus the fact that I did not place any of the words write side up makes one look at the shapes.
Aces and Spaces I started a new piece using the cut-aways from ACE for my next project. It is a challenge to play just with the shapes. I know they relate to one another. I am free motion quilting them down.
Found work I found this folded up in the closet. Now I need to decide if I want to finish it or not.