The spring rains here in central New York sure have pushed the buds forward and the trees are greening up. Its so pleasant outdoors I even ate my breakfast out on the patio this morning. I finished up the drying and pressing of the silk paper from last week. This one is my new favorites with the captured Japanese Lantern pods from Regina in it. I did a lot of work in the studio this week and the project report will support that.
Progress Report: Milkweed Pods This stretched work is 18” X 24”. There is a lot of free motion machine drawing in this piece. The background was built up and then the milkweed pods were added on top. The steams were created with three yarns that were zig-zagged together and then sewn down on the surface. I did a lot of stitching on the pods to show the woody textures on them.
Scribble This small quilt is 18” X 21”. It is made from the cut away fuse backed scrap fabrics that I have have created in the last few weeks. The green from the Jacks and the pink from the blossom projects. I then just do a lot of free motion machine play on top to hold it all down. This quilt along with two others will go to the Animal Shelter here in town to be put in the wire cages. They soften the effect of the metal cages a bit.
Pond Water This project is going slowly as most of the current attachments are being made by hand. I work for several hours last week adding these little white units. This work is a part of my curvy cur series. The white is deconstructed screen worked fabric that I purchased from Randy.
Pods I continue to create more of these pods. I am having fun using lots of the beads from my box and some of the fancy buttons I have purchased of the years. It is much nicer to do little projects then to build a big beaded work.
Scrap Happy Ethel’s scrap box was calling to me this week too. So I got busy and spent time putting together the little strips she had precut. I can see this project will be a slow one- but sometimes I need to do “no mind” stuff and this will go the trick.
Scarves I have completed the stuffing of two more scarves. I like the process but it is very slow. I takes over half an hour to fill all the units for one row of the scarves. I am ready to add the silk fabric in the centers of these works. I have learned that the nylon net is to scratchie for the neck, so I add a unit of softer fancy fabric to the center that rests against the neck . The good part is finding homes for all those little stray objects that collect in the drawers. I am including lots of jewelry bits from grandmother’s button tin too.